Sunday, May 2, 2010

HTC Droid - 5 Months Later

I've had my HTC Droid for about 5 months now and have really have a good understanding of the device now and what I like and don't like about it.

For $99, I would have to say this is one of the better "smart" phones on the market.

PROS
- Gmail integration is top notch.  My "People" (contacts) syncs flawlessly with Gmail.  I prefer to edit contacts in Gmail on a PC and changes are automatically propogated.

- Facebook integration.  I'm losing interest in Facebook but the phone allows you to map Facebook profiles to contacts which means I automatically get a profile picture when someone calls without having to do anything plus I get birthday information and can quickly see any updates people have posted.  This really helps me keep in touch with what is going on with my friends, etc.

-Camera.  The camera takes great pictures (I think its a 5 MP camera).  I rarely take my 10MP Canon Rebel anywhere unless I need/want really really good photos.  The built-in album allows you to quickly and easily share pictures and video via email, Facebook, or YouTube.

- Apps.  The Market apps are comparable to many of the iPhone apps available.  Some I downloaded and haven't used (like the GPS breadcrumb app) but things like Shazam (identifies studio recorded songs by listening to the song though the microphone), IHeartRadio (Clear Channel stations), and Pandora (create a station of your favorite bands) are great.

-Phone.  The call clarity is very good on Verizon.  Phone functionality is easy to use like a phone should be.

CONS
- Memory Management.  I don't like that apps run in the background, but running Advanced Task Killer takes care of that and saves battery life.  There might also be a memory leak because after a few days the phone seems to be sluggish.

- Keyboard.  Its hard to type unless you turn the phone sideways, which requires 2 hands instead of 1.  Sometimes the phone is slow to switch the orientation as well; which sucks.

- Updates.  I really expected to see a system update already.  Specifically, I wanted to get some of the Android 2.0 OS functionality.

No comments:

Post a Comment