Monday, May 17, 2010

Droid 2.1 for HTC Droid Eris

The Verizon update for the HTC Droid Eris has dropped in the last few days.  Users will be prompted to install a system update.  This will bring your phone to Droid 2.1 and give it many of the features that the Motorola Droid users have been enjoying the last few months.

There are 4 features that I am excited about:

-New support for voice-to-text entry. Whenever a text-entry box appears, simply tap the microphone icon on the virtual keyboard and speak.

-Google Maps with Navigation provides free, traffic-enhanced,turn-by-turn navigation.

-Longer battery life due to power savings.

-Faster power-up time

NOTE:  You will need 25mb of free internal memory to install this update.  The easiest way to do this is go is to go tnto the System Settings -> Manage Applications and go to the "Browser" application.  There will be an option on the page labelled "Clear Cache".  If you use your browser much then this folder will probably be over 25MB and now you have the space you need to install.

On my install, I lost all my contacts.  Luckily, I do my contacts through Gmail.  All I had to do was force a sync of my contacts with Gmail and I was back in business.  One quirk was that a few contacts (Husbands / Wives who share a Facebook account) were merged into a single contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment