Sunday, February 2, 2014

Windows Home Server 2011 Client Connector Woes

I tried to fire up my original Windows Home Server (WHS) machine but one of the drives was failing and the system wouldn't boot due to file corruption.

So I built a new box running WHS2011 which I was able to buy for $50 at the local computer parts store.  That version is basically a flavor of Windows Server and even has IIS installed so its great for a home development box for whatever projects you have.

Unfortunately, upgrading wasn't simple.  The new connector software complained there was already a version of the connector installed.  The version installed didn't want to uninstall.

I tried to manually delete the files and some registry entries but the new connector still complained.  Additionally, it caused my active window to lose focus because an installer was trying to load up constantly.

After a few hours I figured it all out.  I went through every entry in the registry with "Windows Home Server" and deleted it.  This made the connector installer work, but it would fail part way through and rollback.

I found a Microsoft KB article about a service needing to be enabled and at least set to manual if not started.  The name escapes me but it was Media Center related.  As it turned out I deleted some registry entries for WHS related to Media Center thinking the new connector install would replace them.

To fix this issue I went to Programs & Features and uninstalled all the "Media Features" which required a reboot then installed them again.  Then the new connector installed no problems and everything works great.

Suggestions that might help you circumvent these issues:
1. Create a restore point on your system and save backups of the registry.
2. Uninstall the old WHS connector while your old server is still running or before upgrading the software. I think part of the uninstall issue might have been the uninstaller trying to remove the user from the WHS machine and couldn't because mine was offline.
3. Try using a different uninstall program like CCleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment