Monday, September 13, 2010

ClearCase ... not a fan

So one of my clients is switching to ClearCase for source management.  Not a fan!

With say Visual SourceSafe the install is as simple as running the install, maybe specifying a few simple options, and waiting for the install to run.

With ClearCase I've had literally 30 steps to perform and its still not installed and integrated with Visual Studio.

Some steps:
1. To check the version I had to run a batch file and email it to someone.  Ironically, the utility runs and the output message is "take this text file and email it to the person who sent you this utility."

2. I've had to search the HDD for files so I could update the registry with the correct path.  (Why couldn't the install figure this out and update the registry?)

3. I've had to run additional command line utilities to attempt to register ClearCase with Visual Studio.

Really?  I feel like we've back in the 90s running EMM386 and changing Config.sys files to make enough Virtual and Extended Memory to play a MS DOS game!

People who complain Windows is too complex/buggy need to try installing ClearCase!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, so I installed and uninstalled ClearCase 3 times today because as I followed the 9 step instructions to VS integration the install failed to copy down some of the DLLs I needed.

    One of the IT guys here is opening a ticket with IBM. Intrestingly too... ClearCase has a registry tool and a "Doctor" tool to troubleshoot issues with the software... both seemed to do their jobs yet the integration isn't working.

    ReplyDelete